I’ve got a habit. I can’t control it. I do it just about every day, and get withdrawals when I go without it for extended periods of time. It’s a common habit, even has a name.
It’s called reading.
Not only is reading a habit, I have habits about reading, too. Do you? Today I’m doing a fun tag about reading habits, because I thought it was about time for another bookish tag. I found this one on Dreamland Book Blog, who found it elsewhere (which just proves my earlier point: this is a common habit!)
Shall we take the plunge?
1. Do you have a certain place at home for reading? Not by design, per se, but I do usually read in the green chair in the livingroom. The green one specifically.
2. Bookmark or random piece of paper? Bookmark, definitely. I’ve used other things as bookmarks (including other books), but I have this particular, homemade bookmark that I use 99.7% of the time.
3. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter/ a certain amount of pages? Can and like to are very different things. I’ve discovered that I CAN stop in the middle of a scene when I have to (like my break at work ends in the middle of a chapter), but I don’t like it. I much prefer designated breaks like chapters. That is ideal.
4. Do you eat or drink while reading? NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Unless it’s tea.
5. Multitasking: Music or TV while reading? Music is acceptable, if it doesn’t have lyrics. But generally, neither. Nothing. Absolute quite is required, or my mental ADHD will-
What IS Mom listening to?
6. One book at a time or several at once? I’m capable of reading a couple at a time, but that’s mostly with an ‘educational’ or otherwise non-fiction paired with a story. For all other intents and purposes, ONE. AT. A. TIME.
7. Reading at home or everywhere? My initial response is ‘home’. But when I think about it, I read at work, I’ve read in airports and airplanes, parking lots, and *gasp* other chairs. So, Sam I Am, I suppose I’ll read anywhere.
8. Reading out lout or silently in your head? Silently, in my head. Where no one can hear me mispronounce words.
9. Do you read ahead or even skip pages? Skip pages? Are you daft? I’ve suffered through text because I can’t skip pages! (Although I am working on a new skill: not finishing books that I’m not enjoying.) But skip? Perish the thought.
10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new? Do you have any idea how damaging it is to break a spine? People become paralyzed from stuff like that. I advise against it.
11. Do you write in your books? I think Beatrice had it about right:
12. When do you find yourself reading? Morning, afternoon, evening, whenever you get the chance or all the time? For the most part, in the evening. For some reason it feels wrong to do entertainment-type stuff like that while the sun is shining, although more so for motion picture than books. It has to be a certain situation (largely acquainted with waiting) for me to read during the day rather than the 18.6 bazillion other things I could/should be doing.
Obviously, I don’t have my priorities straight.
13. What is your best setting to read in? Comfy chair. Blanket. Beverage optional.
14. What do you do first – Read or Watch? Whichever comes first, really. It’s an exercise in discovery.
15. What form do you prefer? Audiobook, E-book or physical book? PHYSICAL BOOK all the way, baby. I have a really hard time with audio anything unless it’s music or paired with a video. I know: weird. The few audiobooks I’ve managed so far have been okay, but it’s never something I look forward to. And ebooks? Only out of sheer necessity. Otherwise, nah.
16. Do you have a unique habit when you read? Like what? Playing with the bookmark? Maybe.
17. Do book series have to match? . . . No . . .?
How about you? Do you have any reading habits? Any bookish habits in general? Consider yourself tagged, and join the fun! Do you share any of these habits? (although if you say the green chair, I’ll be wigged out, not gonna lie?)